Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I'm a student.

I'm a student.
Something I have been at least part-time for the last 22 years.
The majority of my days have been spent in the confines of a classroom.
A place where I meet new people, develop new friendships.
A place where new subjects are studied, lessons learned, concepts developed, life enhanced.
A place that has challenged me, inspired me, and taught me.
A place where I have grown up, made connections with the world around me.
A place where faith surrounds me.

For the last several years, I have struggled with the day to day of college life.
Struggled with certain topics or classes, what I'm going to do after school, and my place in this world.
And yet, in the midst of this, one thing has always remained a constant.
Comfort.
I've never been terrified of sitting in a classroom.
Of parking my car and walking across campus.
Of random noises that filled the hallway between and during classes.

I've never second guessed a classmate.
Never been concerned that they are carrying a gun, or any negative feelings for that matter.

Today, my world is different.

Though I am many, many miles away from Virginia Tech, the events of yesterday hit so close to home.

My heart pours out to those students, the school, the community, and everyone involved.

0 comments: